I taught a lesson to the YW in Relief on strengthening extended family relationships. One of the stories that I read was about a girl who wrote a letter to her Grandma telling her of all her favorite memories. Today is my Grandma Evers Birthday so what better time than now to write her a letter. I’m not a great writer by any means but I wanted to let my grandma know how much she means to me. Here is the letter that I sent to her.
April 12, 2011
Grandma,
Happy Birthday! I hope that you have been showered with love on this special day. I want you to know how much you mean to me. You have been such a wonderful example of “Good” to me throughout my life. I thought that I would write down some of my memories of you and me.
~I always looked forward to a new dress from you. I remember putting them on and spinning in them to see how far they would spin out. I treasure the dresses that you have made for Kaitlin.
~I loved that you would take me and Sara “Window” shopping. It amazes me that you would just let us try on everything in the store and just wait patiently, never telling us to hurry up.
~I loved hearing stories of your past. I remember loving to hear of the times that you worked with those handicapped children. Because of those stories I have a special place in my heart for handicapped children and have taught my children the same.
~I could sit for hours listening to you and your sisters tell of all your adventures to Germany/Europe. I also love that you have such a wonderful relationship with your sisters.
~You are a wonderful cook. I never will forget all the yummy things I got to eat at your table.
· Those marshmallows with rice krispies and caramel
· Potato chips with onion dip, yum!
· I could never name all of the desserts, but you always had something wonderful.
· Stain glass window cookies.
· Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners, everything about them.
· Bowls of candy sitting all over the house chocolate covered peanuts were some of my favorite.
· Grandpa getting Dunkin Donuts
· You always had stuff on hand to make a sandwich. I always love the cheese with the red wax on it, very fancy.
· You always had ice cream in your freezer.
· I always liked how you would pour chips into a bowl instead of leaving them in the bag.
· This list could go on and on and on.
~I could spend hours going through your button box with Lori.
~Your towels were always extra soft. I always loved taking a bath in your tubs.
~I loved sleeping in the purple room there in Longmont. I remember you reading me bedtime stories out of those old books.
~I will always treasure the many gifts that you have made me and my family. I know the many hours you must have spent on each of them. Thank you!!!!
~I remember getting my first “perm” staying with you. After I got my perm and while you were getting your hair done I kept looking at my reflection in the Hair Drying chairs. I couldn’t believe how curly my hair was.
~I loved looking through your drawers in the bathroom and your craft room. You had the coolest combs and sooo many craft and sewing things.
~I loved your “Terrariums” I may not remember digging in them behind my back, but it do remember spending hours looking at them and imagining.
~I remember that you had one of those sprinklers that went back and forth like a waterfall. You were the coolest ever! I had my first color TV experience at your house.
~I will never forget the year you got me those “See Through” bikini underwear.
~I loved painting ceramics with you.
~Going to your church for the Christmas Program.
~Picnics with you were always the best, Fried chicken, potato salad, rolls………& of course Family.
~I’ve never figured out how you can go to bed and wake up and have perfect hair. I don’t know how you do it!
~I thought I felt pretty important when I stayed with you to “Take Care” of you after Grandma BB died.
~….and I can never forget the hours you have spent on the piano so that we could sing with you.
· Yes, we have no Bananas
· Daddy sings bass, Momma sings tenor…
· How much is that doggie in the window Bark, Bark
· Puff the magic dragon
· He’s got the whole world in his hand..
Thank you for raising my Dad to be such a wonderful person. Thank you for coming to Kaitlin’s blessing. That meant the world to me. Thank you for all that you have taught me. By your example, I want to be like you. Thank you for asking us to pray in your home.
I love you Grandma and I’m so grateful to have you in my life and that my Children have been able to know you and call you their GG.
Happy Birthday!!!
I love you,
Heidi, Your “Dolly”
No comments:
Post a Comment