Sunday, January 11, 2009

A visit from the Prophet Joseph Smith


This year in Sunday School we are studying the Doctrine & Covenants. A friend of mine refers to them as "Love Letters from Christ" because they are direct revelations from Jesus to Joseph Smith. So today we talked about the first vision and my Mother in law, Jacque was giving the lesson. She asked Derick to roll play as if he were Joseph. Joseph was 14 when he went into the Sacred Grove to pray and ask Heavenly Father which church he should join.

Jacque asked Derick, or Joseph Smith, questions leading up to the first vision.
  • Who are you?
  • Tell us about the time you had that severe infection in your leg.
  • Tell us what happened when Heavenly Father and Jesus appeared to you in the Sacred Grove.
Derick then answered each question as though he were Joseph Smith. What a neat spirit he brought into the class. I see alot of similarities between Derick and Joseph Smith.

I am so greatful for Joseph Smith and for having the faith to ask the question, "Which church should I join?" I know that he was instrumental in restoring the true chruch to the earth. I am so thankful for his perserverance with all of the persecution that he went through so that we could have the gospel. I know that I am blessed beyond words because my Mom was a member of the church but more importantly that my Dad joined the church after they were married. We were all raised by such wonderful parents who instilled in us to love being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints.

No comments: