Sunday, November 2, 2008

BOO!

For Family Home Evening we did the traditional "Carving Pumpkins" I did though, try a couple new things.
  • Instead of cutting off the top of the pumpkin and having to reach your hand in to light the candles, we cut a hole in the bottom so that you just have to put the candles on the ground, light them, and then cover them with the pumpkin. Worked great!
  • I also heard that if you put Vaseline on the cut parts of the pumpkin that it won't dry out as quickly and therefore not mold or shrivel up. Worked great!
  • This is the first year that I roasted the seeds! I didn't use any recipe, I just washed them and then soaked them overnight in water and salt. I then drained them off and sprayed them with olive oil and roasted them in the oven. They turned out pretty good for the first time, next time I won't put as much salt, and also might try flavoring them.
It was a fun evening, and the kids did a great job carving their pumpkins.

3 comments:

The Nielsen Family said...

Kaitlyn looks like you in that picture. NOt that you look like a witch, but her face resembles yours.

Cindy said...

Good tips for the pumpkin carving. We'll have to try that next year. They all turned out cute.

Stathis Five said...

How did you get your pictures to turn out for the nighttime. I love it. I tried but my camera kept them bright. What is your great trick. I love the pages. You do a great job. It inspires me to go digital.